- Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica (SPAH)
- Harmonica Organization of Texas (HOOT!) -- check out our different chapters!
- Central Texas Bluegrass Association (CTBA) -- I have been working bluegrass harmonica with these folks for years -- so they are "broke in"! My harmonica work can be found on the second CTBA fundraiser album. Check it out on the website.
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music generally puts on a variety of workshops at its winter festival, including harmonica workshops. Check them out!
Learning Opportunities and Festivals
- Hill Country Acoustic Music Camp -- Learn about how to play acoustic music on the harmonica. Harmonica class is available this year if we get at least 5 students!
- Old Settlers Music Festival -- I have done a harmonica workshop at this festival for many years now.
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music Winter Festival -- harmonica workshops can often be found at this festival. Check them out!
- South Texas Music Festival -- currently under reorganization -- This festival typically includes several contests, including a harmonica contest (with some wonderful players in competition)!
- Yellow Pine Harmonica Festival -- Yellow Pine, Idaho -- contests, workshops, and shows.
- Heart of the South Harmonica Festival -- great shows and workshops!
Communications and Communities
- Bluegrass Harp email list -- the place to meet other bluegrass harmonica players and talk shop.
- Bushman Harmonica Forum -- a wonderful, open harmonica forum hosted by the folks at Bushman Music. Yes, they host it, but the players talk about all makers of harmonica, not just Bushman.
- Harp-L email list -- a general harmonica email list where you can meet harmonica players from all over the world and see what they are "on" about. (Sponsored by SPAH)
Harmonica Makers & Vendors
- Hohner Harmonicas -- one of the most popular harmonica brands on the market
- Bushman Harmonicas (Makers of the fabulous Delta Frost and Soul's Voice!) -- wonderful harmonicas and wonderful customer service -- host of harmonica forum open to fans of all brands. If you are curious about how phospher bronze reeds affect the sound and feel of a harmonica, try a Delta Frost.
Harmonica Information, Lessons, and Tab
- J. P. Allen's free harmonica lessons -- great for when you are just getting started!
- Diatonic Harmonica Reference -- a wonderful place to see harmonica knowledge
Harmonica Players Worth Hearing
- Lonnie Glosson's official website (This 93 year harmonica legend could really play!)
- Deford Bailey -- the 1st harmonica player for the Grand Ol' Opry and the 1st Black on the Grand Ol' Opry
more info on Deford Bailey
and still more info on Deford Bailey
1927 Deford Bailey recordings available
DeFord Bailey CD recorded in the 1970's "Legendary: Country Music's First Black Superstar" is still available at Amazon.com (for now) as is the biography written on him at the same time through a series of interviews.
- David Chiasson -- the harmonica in traditional Irish music
- Glenn Weiser harmonica links page (lots of links)
- Tony Eyers -- bluegrass and Irish harmonica tunes from "Down Under"
- P. T. Gazell -- from Johnny Paycheck to bluegrass harmonica -- a must hear!
- Lonnie Joe Howell -- Nashville session musician (retired) and now VHS to DVD conversion guru
- Bob Meehan - player and customizer
- Joe Filisko
-- player and custom harmonica designer/builder extraordinaire
- Tim Moyer -- player and customizer
- Charlie McCoy -- Nashville session musician beloved the world over -- Got a question about keys or harps used for his albums? Check his site out for the answers.
- James Conway -- a wonderful harmonica player that specializes in Celtic music. You can also hear him perform with The Sprigs
- Rob Paparozzi -- Talented blues player that also plays jazz and even a fiddle tune or two.
- Robert Bonfiglio -- Talented classical harmonica player.
- Gary Primich -- Talented and giving blues player (based in Austin, Tx.) that also can play a fiddle tune or two.
- Michael Rubin -- Talented and giving blues/rock player (based in Austin, Tx.) -- Austin's own version of Howard Levy.
- Howard Levy -- a harmonica player who has set the bar so high most of us are just glad he lets us sit in the same room with him.
- Jimi Lee -- a blues and jazz performer and songwriter of extreme talent -- solo or with a band.
Cara's MySpace Pages:
- cyberharp -- the first attempt & Cara Cooke -- music page
- Cara Cooke -- Fiddle-style harmonica -- home